The liquor industry in New Zealand and overseas is cancelling large scale events in a bid to slow down the COVID-19 pandemic. However, many events have announced new dates later in the year to keep the spirits up and give the industry something to look forward to…
- Auckland Beer Week due to take place in June has been postponed and the new date is TBC.
- The Highball cocktail festival scheduled for May has now been postponed and will take place in Wellington on 9-10 October.
- Hop’N’Vine Craft Beer, Wine & Food Festival has been postponed until 10 October.
- The Gisborne Beer Festival has been postponed until 28 November.
- The judging and awards dinner for the 2020 New Zealand Spirits Awards has been postponed. The new date is to be advised.
- Beer-a-Palooza in the Hawke’s Bay has been postponed until later in the year with the new date to be advised.
- Winetopia – due to happen in Auckland and Wellington in May and June – have both been postponed, new dates are to be confirmed.
- Pinot Noir NZ 2021 will now be held on February 23-25 2022.
Unfortunately some events have been forced to cancel, including:
- The Chardonnay Affair due to happen in Gisborne this month in May.
- The Winter Food & Wine Classic (F.A.W.C) due to take place across Hawke’s Bay in June.
- The Decanter Asia Wine Awards (DAWA) for 2020 scheduled for September.
- The 2020 New Zealand Beer Awards and BREWNZ’20.
- Coca-Cola Christmas in the Park in December.
“Large gatherings and events are a high risk environment for the spread of infectious diseases like COVID-19, because people often behave in ways that facilitate transmission at these events,” said former Health Minister David Clark.
As of May 14 2020, gatherings of more than 10 people are still banned.
If you have a postponed or cancelled industry event that you’d like to share, please email [email protected]
Did you know?
There are 6 ways you can catch up with The Shout NZ?
Our monthly print magazine. Subscribe here.
Online, updated daily with its own completely unique content and breaking news.
Our fortnightly newsletter – free to your inbox! Subscribe here.
Our digital magazines – the latest issues are online now, here and here.
We are also on Facebook and Instagram!