Decanter World Wine Awards 2019: The results are in!
After two weeks of judging, the results are now in for the 16th edition of the Decanter World Wine Awards.
Over the course of two weeks, 280 of the world’s top wine experts blind tasted close to 17,000 wines. This culminated in 50 Best in Show medals, 148 Platinum, 480 Gold, 4,164 Silver and 7,376 Bronze medals being given out.
France dominated the awards again this year, with stunning quality hailing from Burgundy, Champagne, the Rhône and Provence. French wines won 13 of the 50 Best in Show medals, Burgundy did notably well, winning four top accolades, these were:
- Château de Meursault, Les Charmes Dessus, 2017
- Château de Meursault, Clos des Epenots, 2017
- Christian Moreau Pére et Fils, Le Clos 2017
- Domaine de la Vougeraie 2016
France was followed by Spain which received a total of eight Best in Show medals. Sherry performed particularly well receiving two Best in Show medals:
- Lustau, the Almacenista Antonio Caballero y Sobrinos Del Castillo Amontillado NV
- 30 Years Old V.O.R.S.
Wines from Rioja, Priorat, Rias Baixas and Castilla y Leon also emerged victorious.
Australia took third place closely behind Spain with six Best in Show medals. Shiraz enjoyed another good year, with half of the esteemed accolades going to:
- Brokenwood, Graveyard Vineyard Shiraz, Hunter Valley, New South Wales , Australia 2017
- Shingleback, The Gate Shiraz, McLaren Vale, South Australia, Australia, 2017
- Kilikanoon, Attunga 1865 Shiraz, Clare Valley, South Australia, Australia, 2014
The UK wine industry had another hugely successful year, with three of the top 50 wines globally coming from England. Two wineries scooped the ultimate award of Best in Show. Chapel Down won for not one but two of its wines, the Kit’s Coty Chardonnay 2016 and Kit’s Coty Coeur De Cuvée 2014. In West Sussex, Wiston Estate won Best in Show for its Blanc de Blancs Brut 2011.
New Zealand had a strong 2019 winning three Best in Show medals from Craggy Range, Villa Maria and Te Kairanga.
For a full list of winners, visit www.decanter.com